I still have LOTS of work to do in the next two weeks before I get my diploma: applying for jobs, finishing up my student teaching paperwork and lesson planning. And though I can’t just spread out a blanket on the green to avoid my homework in the middle of the afternoon anymore, I felt the need to procrastinate at least a little bit. You know, for old times’ sake. So I counted up some things.
- Semesters at Northwestern: 8
- Seven of those were on campus! I spent my final semester student teaching in West Des Moines and Waukee.
- Days spent in class: 505
- I can’t remember if I counted the four snow days NWC had while I was a student so maybe it’s only 501.
- Weeks of student teaching: 15
- 8 weeks in high school, 7 in middle school. In retrospect I should have also thought to record the number of times I was mistaken for a student.
- Hours logged in the tutoring center: 205.78
- Reading papers for Macroeconomics, Christian Perspective on Physical Fitness, Lit Contexts, and more. And there are probably tutors who’ve logged more hours than me.
- Summer classes: 3
- Pages written in word documents: over 171 in just the last two semesters…
- Don’t even ask me how long this took to calculate. After counting up this year’s paper trail, I wasn’t even going to bother doing the math for the other 3 years.
- Orientations attended: 4
- My own freshman orientation, plus three years on O-Staff!
- Spring Service Partnerships (SSPs): 1
- My sophomore year I went to Opelousas, Louisiana to work with the organization Hope for Opelousas. They do after-school tutoring with kids 4th-12th grade. I liked it enough to go back for a summer job as a teaching intern last May!
- Times I participated in AIRBAND: 1
- A huge group of us did a lip-synced medley from the musical Hamilton and it was SO FUN even though we only got second place. I wish I’d done more!
- Theatre Productions performed in: 4
- "The Power and the Glory," "Godspell," "Rabbit Hole," and "Museum." I also stage managed several productions and worked on many more crews.
- Days spent on tour with Drama Ministries Ensemble: 27
- With DME I got to travel around Illinois and Michigan, the Calvin Worship Symposium, and Albania and Greece. We performed stories like Abraham and Isaac, the Good Samaritan, and The Passion from the Gospel of Luke.
- Years lived in Fern Smith Hall: 3.5
- I have so many memories of late night dance parties, very competitive board games, and random trips for ice cream with the girls that I lived with in Fern.
And some completely random statistics…
- Times I left the country while enrolled at NWC: 3
- Parking tickets: at least 3
- Summer jobs: 2
- Seasons of Criminal Minds watched in a single semester: All 12.
- Winter Formal dances I probably got whiplash at: 2
- Indoor plants/succulents purchased: 5
It’s crazy to think how much one person can do in 4 years! The cliché lines “How do you measure, measure a year? In daylights, in sunsets, in midnights, in cups of coffee” from the song “Seasons of Love” comes to mind. And while I’ve rendered my college experiences into a set of numbers, the memories and stories that stem from those are too numerous to tell here.
What will your statistics look like when you leave NWC?Early morning workouts in the RSC? Band and choir concerts? Finals-week scrambles? When your 2,102,400 minutes at NWC finish up, what will you remember?